Mini Adsense

SEARCH THIS BLOG

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

FOTM : Lee Seunggi [이승기]

Post a comment Print or Download as PDF

NOTE
1 Night 2 Days variety show
Anyone interested in watching Seunggi's appearances in 1N2D, you can go to youtube and type in "1n2d ep 28", where ep 28 was his very first appearance and it was the 1st Winter Trip, so you can imagine from day 1 he had to be tough. Very funny 1st appearance and poor kid. For the next episode just replace the numbers, incrementally. Each trip will take 2 to 3 episodes to cover. Youtube has most episodes, divided usually into 4 or 5 episodes but the subtitles is sometimes there, sometimes not. I tried to find earlier episodes but can't find them, or at least can't find them with subtitles. Or you can search at this website, but the videos in the end is in youtube anyway. In case you can find sayyyy part 1 of 4, part 2 of 4, but can't see part 3 of 4, just copy the entire title, paste it on the seach bar in youtube, replace the part number with the one you're missing and hit enter. And I notice some are recorded from ASTRO, which means "hey hey thanks fellow Malaysians!!". Anyway one episode was not broadcast, that was when they went to Mt Daebak in China during their 22 hours bus trip. It is hilarious!! A must watch, so watch the fully subtitled ones at youtube by searching "Ep 62 - Seunggi getting scared over all the ghost stories! p1". There are 5 parts, so just go p1, p2, p3 and so on and so forth. I genuinely believe his reaction was sincere because in another episode he jumped quite high when he was scared stiff. If you think Hodong was bullying him, look, it was for entertainment, he was the youngest and to make it very clear, I do believe he is Hodong and Kim C's favourite, one with constant bullying and teasing (I forgot which episode but one gave him the nickname Emperor Seunggi and it was hilarious as it was awkward) and the other giving him the chicken thigh and what not. The comraderie is something I miss so much because he was only 21 then. Anyway have fun watching and remember, don't choke!!

My Views
- On Seunggi's often heard 1N2D themesong [Here]
- My comment on Season 1 of 1N2D [Here]

Updates -026.04.2012
I just watched episode 88 of 1N2D and Park Chan Ho was the guest. He is a baseball player. Anyway I was thinking how Seunggi could cope when he had the leave the next day at 5.30am to take his I believe English exam? And he even returned in the afternoon for lunch!! How the hell he managed his time?!?!? And he did it so effortlessly, with his goofy grin and of course a full day filming prior to the exam the day after. I am in awe. Anyway that was in I believe end of 2008 I think. He was young though, and like the members said; full of youthful energy but this guy is super dedicated and my impression is he loves to sing and of course to promote himself because he has a favourite question in 1N2D and it is always about appearance time in the show. But I love him for that. If you love Lee Seunggi and has never watched an episode of 1N2D, I urge you to watch from ep 28 because you see growth as a person and entertainer and also for the other members. The netizens were right; 1N2D was at its best with Kang Hodong, Lee Seunggi, Lee Sugeun, Eun Jiwon, MC Mong and Kim C as members. And I would like to point out one very obvious fact. Kang Hodong was the leader and he was always in the middle. They were all scared of him, even Kim Jongmin before he left for the army around Ep 30 or so. And guess who always got to stand next to Hodong? Seunggi. I notice he also always jog back to the same spot, even until before Hodong went into forced retirement. And he was very close to Hodong, which was very plain to see. Have a watch of any episode and don't tell me you don't see the obvious position. And all of them do acknowledge Seunggi is the most popular as they say "Ahhh so many girls but today Seunggi is not here!" or that crazy MC Mong idea of a concert at a university and Seunggi was elsewhere and they expected only 100 or so students but more than 1000 turned up and they panicked because they only had MC Mong, Jiwon and Suguen and Mong was saying "Oh call Seunggi! Call Seunggi!". But the public wanted all 6 of them there and you should watch how Hodong effortlessly controlled the crowd. There is a reason why he was so good and so missed by the public and the adorable way Seunggi always say "They want to see us, not just me" and I felt his sincerity in that comment. Not an ounce of hypocrisy or pretentiousness from this ... I wanted to say boy but he is now a man. I am spending my nightly 2 hours watching 1N2D and I would like to thank the subbers for the English subs and posting them in youtube and elsewhere. I wonder is there a 1N2D Season 1 DVD with English subtitle? It will be a keeper!!


 

I am a huge fan of Lee Seunggi  (pronounded as Yi Soong-gee as Lee in Korean is Yi) not because of his acting (never seen one single episode of his famous series at all) or his singing (never liked K-pop or K-ballad much) but because of his true personality as seen in 2 Days 1 Night or 1 Night 2 Days (Korean says the night first before the day), the best variety show, ever. The pressure he was constantly in, the idea that everything about him including his underwear laid bare in the show for all to see, he hardly had any time to be embarrassed. He has such a good temperament, and who the hell knows the scientific name of the 1st ape or human or whatever anyway? Smart. He is smart, he knows it but he doesn't gloat. He speaks good English, he can converse in Japanese, writes beautifully and finds time to graduate from university in his busy schedule. And in 5 years during the show, he grew up before our eyes, from boy-child to man-child. I was watching his past episodes and it was so funny in the way he said some rather endearing things; like how he wants to be married and have children, so he was very worried about the camera hanging above his sleeping self, in case it falls onto his private parts!! How can anyone not love him for his honesty and his megawatt smile? 1N2D without him and some key members became rather stale. I heard he is a good actor. I plan to watch a series of him soon. But I heard he is first and foremost a singer and he is a great ballad singer. The fact that he signed with I believe AMUSE in Japan to represent him in Japan shows he is a good investment. Which means my idol, Masha can earn a bit more through his shares in the company! Anyway I found a few songs of his in his latest album apparently after 2 years hiatus and I am not sure how he was as a singer; I believe probably breathy sort like all K-singers are. But I loved his singing in this Bon Voyage song which was sorta the anthem of 1N2D. But his album, Tonight was particularly awesome because not so dramatically breathy and covers a variety of music style that I became hooked. Two songs became my favourite because I never expected K-sonsg to sound that way. No idea what their titles are or the lyrics but I think they must be love songs. Koreans can't escape from all the "sa-rang". And it ain't easy to speak Koreans. Very tongue twister. Anyway now I know why he is so darn famous. And rightfully so. 

By the way I have yet to find his performances of these songs below in Music Bank (hopefully I got the name right) or official PVs. These are fan made.

More after Read More link.




MOST FAVOURITE
'널 웃게 할 노래' 
(Google says it means Songs To Make You Laugh, video says A Song To Make You Smile. The latter sounds better)



This song sounds like so epic, I was hoping it was about something much bigger than just love. But I think Google did not lie to me and so in the end it is about love love love. But I love the music, the singing, the arrangement, the rap, everything!

어디에선가 울고 있을 그대 에게

나의 마음을 담아 불러 이 노래 네게
지친 마음 잠시라도 쉴 수 있다면
내 어깨에 기대 가도 괜찮아

사랑이 널 아프게 하고
다시 속이고 울게 해도
약속 할게 괜찮아 질 거야
다시 행복해 질 수 있어
이별 아픔 따윈 잠시뿐이라고

너도 모르게 흘러내린 눈물 이제
이 노래를 들으며 모두 닦아 내렴
행복했던 그 시절에 웃던 것처럼
네 입술에 미소 띄워보겠니

사랑이 널 아프게 하고
다시 속이고 울게 해도
약속 할게 괜찮아 질 거야
다시 행복해 질 수 있어
이별 아픔 따윈 잠시뿐이라고

(Rap) 거친 파도가 밀려온다면 넌 더 큰 파도가 되어
세찬 바람이 널 쥐고 흔든다면 똑바로 널 세워
해가 뜨기 전의 어둠, 네 아픔은 그것뿐
왜 널 자꾸 지치게 해 이별엔 누구나 서툰데
네가 막 지나온 그림자를 두려워 마
그건 어딘가에 빛이 있다는 거니까
uh 마음속 아픔이란 짐은 깨끗이 다 꺼내
빈 칸을 채워줄 널 웃게 할 노래

사랑이 널 아프게 하고
다시 속이고 울게 해도
약속 할게 괜찮아 질 거야
다시 행복해 질 수 있어
이별 아픔 따윈 잠시뿐이라고
2ND FAVOURITE 
어디라도 
(Google says "Anywhere")

 

All those English words here and there may sound cheesy but it ain't so! Beautifully song, very melodic but I feel one part..."Drive away Drive away Fly away" would have been so much better if it was "Drive away Drive away For love" because I thought I heard For Love. Now I know it is Fly Away. Doesn't sound right.
이승기 | 5집 Tonight

빈틈없이 꽉 막힌 이 거리 같아
빈틈없이 꽉 채워진 스케줄노트
숨이 막혀서 더는 못 참겠어

똑바로 가면 일터가 나와 옆으로 가면
답답한 이 공기로부터 벗어날 수 있을 것 같아.
운전대를 돌렸네

이렇게 맑고 좋은 날엔
싱그런 바람과 시원한 파도와
두근거리는 만남이 있는 곳으로
I wanna go 어디라도 좋을 것 같아 I wanna go
내가 숨 쉴 수 있는 그 어디라도 좋겠어.
I wanna go 어디라도 그 어디라도 I wanna go I wanna go
여기 아닌 그 어디라도 좋겠어

오늘만은 내 맘대로
눈치 볼 것 없이 그냥 이대로
솔직히 조금 두렵기도 하지만

빼곡한 빌딩 숲 속을 지나
한적한 쾌적한 들판이 보일 때까지
Drive away Drive away Fly away

이렇게 맑고 좋은 날엔
싱그런 바람과 시원한 파도와
두근거리는 만남이 있는 곳으로

I wanna go 어디라도 좋을 것 같아 I wanna go
내가 숨 쉴 수 있는 그 어디라도 좋겠어.
I wanna go 어디라도 그 어디라도 I wanna go I wanna go
여기 아닌 그 어디라도 좋겠어

모든 게 좋아 보여도 가벼운 만남조차 내겐 어려웠어
떠나야 겠어 자유롭게 어디라도(그 어디라도)

I wanna go 어디라도 좋을 것 같아 I wanna go
내가 숨 쉴 수 있는 그 어디라도 좋겠어.
I wanna go 어디라도 그 어디라도 I wanna go I wanna go
여기 아닌 그 어디라도 좋겠어


16 comments:

  1. He was cute in Shining Inheritance, but I'm actually looking forward to his performance in The King 2 Hearts, which is now airing (where he plays the Emperor of a fictional South Korean monarchy and is paired with a North Korean secret forces agent).

    When I get back from my trip I will start watching 1N2D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget, if you plan to watch 1N2D, start by watching Seunggi's 1st appearance. It was the 1st Winter trip. Can't remember which episode, probably 2X. I can't find anything earlier but can find most after. Still watching and laughing my head off every night at the antics of MC Mong. A pity he is in such a bad shape right now. His entire career ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found it. Episode 28. I believe 2 episodes later Jongmin had to leave for army service. Come to think of it his debut is the hardest, after all 1st winter challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. King 2 Hearts is a must watch. His acting has grown a lot compared to Shining Inheritance & Gumiho. I'm fast becoming his fans (resisting, resisting!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting for TV to broadcast. KBS actually has Equator man and also Rooftop prince I think on One HD so maybe I hope this series will be next. If not I will wait for DVD which will probably be RM99-00. Frankly I can't remember where to catch King 2 Hearts.

    Sehseh, surrender. It is a losing cause so might as well just surrender. I just watched the 1N2D where he was abandoned on Nok Island and he was so resourceful to get back to the main team and surprised them with his presence and he meant it when he said "Don't ever abandon me again" and he did look like a little lost boy. I am sure he was scared stiff in that abandoned school with just 2 other person. I really like his personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not surrendering. Because that means I will have to end up hunting watching his variety shows in eng subs and the amount is too much.

    I'll just be an admirer for his acting. Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love him for him. Serious! Was watching some old episodes where he was abandoned in some island, very mean of his cast mates and he was so resourceful, he found his way back and basically shocked them to see him sleeping next to them. They abandoned him because he was youngest and they know he is resourceful. This guy is also damn smart. He knows things that I don't even know how to spell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sehseh, I've heard good things about King 2 Hearts so I'm looking forward to it! I quite like the female lead too (can't remember her name - she was the same actress from Secret Garden, right?).

    Actually it's good Funn recommends 1N2D b/c I am out of variety shows to watch lately. I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bridget, her name is Ha Ji Won. I watched the King2Hearts solely for her (initially).

    She is considered Korea No.1 A-List actress :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funn, btw the series was aired on MBC, so if you have any english MBC channel, you eventually will watch it.

    Meanwhile, can also watch eng subbed here
    http://www.kimchidramas.net/2012/03/king-2hearts.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's not good looking unlike the other pretty Korean idols or the flawless Wallace Huo, but his character sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting to see a Korean famous idol having an average face. Even the average looking HK stars such as Bosco Wong and Pak Ho look better looking. Normally K-idols are always pretty with toned muscles but this guy look so normal although his personality sounds attracting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Athena,

    I got to disagree with you. Seunggi is more than average although his appeals lies in the fact that he is average. He is very tall, nowadays his body is reportedly very very well toned. He has definition. Admittedly he is not classically handsome but he has this boyish good looks and charm plus a megawatt smile and absolutely fantastic personality, I love him. He can sing very very well and according to Sehseh, he can act very very well too. He can also host very very well and he has no problem being made to look like a fool. His personality however outshines his looks. He is definitely not average and he is very smart as well. I am sorry to say Bosco will look like a skinny midget next to him. There is a reason why Seunggi is the darling in Korean media and Japan and everywhere as well. He epitomizes the perfect star; not in looks but in personality. But seriously I do believe he is much better looking in person and if a guy can wake up in the morning with messy hair, puffy face and do it in front of the camera for 5 years, he is perfection to me. Do watch 1N2D; you can see a change in him from 21 yrs old to 26 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wallace Huo is exceedingly beautiful but too skinny. And he wouldn't want Seunggi's career as well. Too intrusive and I can't ever imagine him doing what Seunggi did for 5 years in the hell called 1N2D

    ReplyDelete
  15. "He is very tall, nowadays his body is reportedly very very well toned"

    Could be pressure from other K-idols. 90% of Korean male idols have toned bodies with perfect abs. Even the skinny midgets have muscles and hard rock abs.It's like toned body is complusory.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those Kpop boybands, they have baby cute face but when they strip - whoa hard toned muscles popping up!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated for the timebeing.